Are you living in fear in your home country or fearful of returning there?

John J. Hykel can help you apply for asylum in the United States. An application can be submitted to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service or in Immigration Court. It must be submitted within one year of your coming to the United States. There are few exceptions to this rule, but if you are nearing the deadline, please contact us immediately. Asylum can include your spouse and any unmarried children under the age of 21 who are currently in the United States. If granted Asylum, after one year you may obtain lawful permanent resident status (permanent status authorizing you and your family to live and work in the United States).

Asylum is generally defined as a fear to return to your home country because of persecution, religion, political opinion, nationality, or membership in a group.

After the application is pending for 150 days, you may apply for an employment authorization document (EAD). This allows you to work legally in the United States indefinitely or until your asylum application is decided. We can help you through every phase of the process of obtaining employment authorization.

If you are granted asylum you may petition to bring your spouse and children to the United States by filing a Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition. To include your child on your application, the child must be under 21 and unmarried.

You must file the petition within two years of being granted asylum unless there are humanitarian reasons to excuse this deadline. There is no fee to file this petition.

If you are denied asylum, but have a legitimate fear of torture upon returning to your homeland, you can still apply to stay in the United States through the United Nations Convention Against Torture (CAT). It is not an easy process, but the right immigration lawyer can help. Mr. Hykel is a committed attorney with many years of experience in helping aliens gain asylum.

If you have a legitimate fear of returning to your country, please call or email Mr. Hykel’s law office for a consultation. We can help you!

In-Office Consultation

Realizing Your Dreams for a New Life in the United States